Still Working Out What it Means to Be Saved By Grace

We might be mid-life but we are still
trying to discover the depths of faith, family and how we are to be
Christ-agents in this world in which we live. We are open to explore, ponder and
discover how God will use us in this phase of our lives. We desire to refine and
adjust ourselves while we reconnect to our pasts and make this transition to the
future. It isn't really about the destination but more about the journey....We
use each of you to sharpen us and hone us to be the people that God intended for
us to be. Will you share the journey with us? We love your comments!


Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Third Year Commemoration

Three years ago today since the fire that took our ranch house.....4-28-06


I remember Abby and Ben had come home from all the way from Arkansas to spend a weekend with us we could get to know her new beau.... The only thing Ben got to see of Abby's childhood home was it burning down....

A day characterized by mainly disbelief.... by shock... by great sadness... it was only stuff but is was ours... our memories, and in many cases, the last ties to Pam and Chuck and the kids childhoods....
Did this really happen? All we salvaged was what you could put in one wheelbarrow...All that was left of Chuck's files....

We were blessed that Charlie and I were not sleeping when it happened! Dan had been gone to Lander for a Commissioners meeting.... some things this side of heaven we will never understand....
The day my Mighty Moms and I sorted through the rumble we came up from the ashes of the basement to this rainbow... rainbows have characterized Dan's and my relationship... God's promise of the newness to come.... "beauty out of ashes" Isaiah 61

We were so blessed to have our little "cottage" in Wheatland... what a provision that was... 13 months we lived there.... Dan commuted all those months and ate his lunch daily in his pick-up all winter long....

Remember the Dig-a-thon in January to get the new house on the foundation after the 23 inch snow in December that filled the basement? It was 12 above zero that day, folks!!! You guys were a hardy little Krew!!!

The Krew The New House coming....

Our house today... taken 4-28-09

I must confess that I am glad that chapter is behind us!!! My major impression of that first year was how MUCH WORK it was! The insurance book took me six months to compile! Try to imagine starting from stratch on replacing everything?!?!? We hadn't been planning and dreaming of building a new home....and didn't even have any ideas! The days of house planning (thanks Hollis and Slick), then decorating, (thanks Debby H), shopping.... well- I love shopping but even I was maxed out....Vans full of stuff to make the place liveable.... Abby, remember the day we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought $800 brought it home, put it away? Then you said to me..."where did all that stuff go ....you can't even tell ..." that about sized it up! So now remains the landscaping.... and Dan someday building my deck.... (bets on if it will happen?!?)

But God certainly did bring beauty out of literal ashes!!! It wasn't easy and there are still days we miss certain things but He did help us to rebuild our lives and provided a beautiful new home which we are loving! I don't always understand these detours.... but the amazing part....He did provide so many to you to come along side us and lift us up! A speical thanks to the Chugwater Fire Department! We are so thankful for everyone's help! Thanks for journeying with us!!! Come and visit anytime! We have room!

P.S. These little guys made through the fire only about 1o feet from the house... this was taken today... God is smiling on us! Spring, rebirth, newness... do overs, redemption... don't you just love our GREAT GOD?!?!

P.S.S. After I posted this my dearest friend Val wrote me an e-mail and said:
"Thanks for reminding me to REJOICE!!
When I think back over that year I am amazed again at His wonderful ways!
I remember the bike ride Rick and I were on when you called. We were going over a bridge. I remember your mom finding pictures of so much of your furniture...I remember how difficult it was to get the insurance work done...I remember feeling so sad about all the memories that you lost...I remember the Christmas in the cottage with all of your kids...I remember the PEO gals buying you new dishes!...I remember Tara and I going through our pictures to find any glimmer of any of you guys and scanning them and getting them printed. I remember looking at lots of pictures on the computer of different styles of houses! And feeling so happy when they began to build...and what joy to get pictures of your new home...once again God restored what was lost....

And we are never the same,
Val
SO aptly put Val..... May we never forget all the love from so many! Thanks! LTK

No comments: