Are you getting the picture?
Yesterday we had the second day of a big snow storm in SE Wyoming. Dan and I watched holding our breath all day as there was talk of up to 20 inches of snow. Pastor Jack had it right in his predictions....when others were calling for much less he was telling us to "get ready" on his forecast. Well- I am happy to report that there isn't 20 inches this morning but there is easily 10-12 inches and as I write this Dan is out feeding hay and cake to his cattle. Now if you know anything about ranch life in Wyoming, you would know that is a BIG DEAL and especially when you are only one guy doing the work. We depend upon ground that is bare enough for the critters to graze and there is no bare ground today. So he chained up, loaded up and now I am praying that he isn't stuck somewhere because I can't get out the the yard.
Dan's Hay Wagon: say a little prayer for him....

A Frosty Pet

So what is all the fuss you ask? Many people like snow days?!?! Well- they are quite threatening to the man I married. Besides that I was set to go to Sheridan today with our CBLN director for the start of the festivities for our Kick-off for our newest Business Leadership Network and now they have closed I-25 between Cheyenne and Wheatland! We are dead in the water! Life has come to a halt!! I am one growling bear pacing needlessly in my house...
Life on the Prairie as of 1-27-09 11:56 am- where's the driveway?!?!

I have been working to do the development on this newest BLN for the past 18 months!!! It is to be the culmination of all that hard effort. In July we hired a wonderful young director, named Elizabeth, and she is putting on a rockin' party for her Kick-off! We are going to have the Peeks.... Kim, one of the men who Dustin Hoffman fashioned his part after after in the movie "The Rainman". We had Kim and his Dad, Fran, in Cheyenne several years ago and it was one of our most memorable events ever. Hence the picture of Charlie when he was in about 9th grade with Kim and the Oscar from the Movie!
Charlie and the Real Rainman
Dan says this must be purposeful.... Marla was late and we just missed the closing of the road.... maybe payback for all the times I have been late.... hmmm....but here I sit. I mopped the floor and vacuumed as I fumed. Dan will be glad that I am here to make lunch but I am missing the special dinner with the Peeks tonight and the press conference and who knows if we will be able to go tomorrow even when there is a visit to the high school, the showing of the movie, a reception prior to the event with the Peeks and then the program complete with the local infamous Craft brothers (one being Elizabeth's husband) entertaining plus the same on Thursday in Buffalo.... can you see me ringing my hands and hear all the heavy sighs?!?!Let me tell you a bit about Kim Peek and why he is so exceptional.... and why we believe him to be a great spokesman for the cause of people with disabilities.....while he can remember facts.... presidential trivia, sports scores, batting averages, interstates, he can keep track of complex mathematical computations, phone numbers, prefixes and zip codes... he has trouble shaving in the morning. He has trouble getting dressed.... Kim is known in the world of labels as an "autistic savant"... or one with "savant syndrome". Not all people with autism are savants but Kim is a man of exceptional abilities as well with profound limitations. When you meet Kim and get a glimpse of his amazing mind you think why would anyone ever want to limit him to the confines of an institution? He, as well as others like him, are a gift to the world and have much to offer. There have been international studies done on the working of Kim's mind. Much can be learned for the study of cognitive retraining and traumatic brain injury. Kim has much to offer employers and for right now he and his Dad offer the message of hope to thousands as they inspire people to look past the disabilities to the ABILITIES!
The writers, the producers, the directors, and particularly Dustin Hoffman wanted The Rainman film to be real, to be accurate, to be respectful and dignified as it dealt with the often misunderstood topic of people with disabilities, and to help to change people's perceptions. As Darold A. Treffert, MD St. Agnes Hospital, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry says about the film" They wanted to capture the wonder and the essence of autism and Savant Syndrome. They succeeded. It was reassuring to see the film industry so concerned about authenticity and believability when that generally is not the way the industry is characterized. Few disabilities will ever experience the kind of massive public awareness in such an empathic, uniformly well received and popular format that Rain Man has afforded autism and Savant Syndrome. Hollywood, and all those associated with this film, did their part, and did it exceedingly well. Now it is up to us — families, professionals and organizations interested in these special persons — to do as well in maintaining a momentum of interest, of inquiry and action so that efforts in understanding Savant Syndrome and treating autism can be propelled along further than ever before — further than they otherwise ever would have been without this magnificent movie. "
We aim to do that in Sheridan and Buffalo this week as well in all our Wyoming BLN's every day! God created us ALL with dignity,value and worth and we ALL have something to contribute. May that message go forth again this week! Blessings on you, dear Elizabeth! Instead I am here ringing my hands....
3 comments:
OHhh, you poor thing!
I can only imagine the pacing and wringing of hands. I'm sorry things look so grim. Those are some nice pictures, though.
Maybe you should order a blue-spectrum lamp on the internet to pass the time.
love and miss you xoxo
Lynn, I am bummed for you! You could send all the snow south so that I could have a snow day! I hope a miracle happens for you.
Lynn, So sorry that you missed a special event you were SO invested in! I suppose you are out and about now. I have about 5 classes of autistic kids in my school. I've come to know a lot more about them since engaging them in the library for 9 years. Some have had amazing gifts of art or memory or math. Others struggle with everything. We had a snow day too--there was maybe 3/4 inch of icy snow at 5 in the morning, so everyone stayed home. Welcome to Virginia! Your pictures are gorgeous though. I hope you drank hot chocolate by a roaring fire sometime after you accepted your fate. Also thanks for commenting on my blog:). It was a lovely holiday time. I often look at Hannah and Abby and Ben's blogs with great interest and prayers. Love, Meg
Post a Comment