Still Working Out What it Means to Be Saved By Grace

We might be mid-life but we are still
trying to discover the depths of faith, family and how we are to be
Christ-agents in this world in which we live. We are open to explore, ponder and
discover how God will use us in this phase of our lives. We desire to refine and
adjust ourselves while we reconnect to our pasts and make this transition to the
future. It isn't really about the destination but more about the journey....We
use each of you to sharpen us and hone us to be the people that God intended for
us to be. Will you share the journey with us? We love your comments!


Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ok, So I Lied....

BLN Director Elizabeth with the Real Rainman

Dear Ones,

I was a bit premature in telling you that I wasn't able to go to Sheridan for the BLN Kick-Off! The road closed on Tuesday at 8:38 am so we were grounded. But God knew the "desires of my heart" despite my crabbing. Why He puts up with me I will never know... Dan came in about 1:00 pm on Wednesday and the road had just opened up. I called my friend and co-worker, Marla and told her. I figured we had just about enough time to get there. She got in her car straight away and was to Chugwater by 2:30 and we were on our way. Never mind that we got to Sheridan, changed on clothes in the Mini-Mart at 6:45 pm, and were to the theater at 6:55 for the start of the performance at 7:00. We were there and it was amazing!!!

Elizabeth, our newest BLN director, packed the WYO Theater complete with her husband's band... the local favorites... The Craft Brothers. I have uploaded a clip from their performance which put everyone in a festive mood and set the stage for Kick-off and the Awards that Elizabeth gave out. They are wonderful!!! Top rate musicians and entertainers!


I haven't seen the Peeks since we had them come to Cheyenne about 4 years ago. Fran, Kim's Dad, is now 83 years old and Kim 57. Fran is not in very good health so we marveled at his stamina and ongoing passion "to share Kim with the world." This year is the 20th anniversary of the production of "The Rainman" movie and a big bash was held in Kim's honor in Salt Lake last month complete with the screen writer Barry Morrow. Kim has grown in many ways since I last saw him. He is more engaged with people and he has added humor to his repertorie which makes it fun. He can still tell you the date of the week you were born if you tell him the date and year. He still can tell you all sorts of facts about the surrounding town or area that you live in or have lived in. He is a musical genius and can read multiple books at a time and comprehend 97% of what he reads whereas the average person remembers 45%. He can read two pages at a time with each eye reading a different page... I am so jealous! They are studying him at NASA! He is helping shape the diagnosis and treatment of people with autism and asbergers.

I got to have extended time with the Peeks as we took them to Buffalo where we went to two school assemblies. It was fun to ride in the car and have time to really talk to them. What an honor for me! Kim is the most gifted savant in the world and Fran tells us that Kim is savant in 15 content areas!!! At the assemblies the students line up to ask Kim questions and everyone get to hold the Oscar of course. It weighs 8 pounds. I carried it quite a bit for Fran because the thing gets heavy! But he engages the kids.... Fran talks and Kim answers questions. Often Kim will get off on a tangent but Fran is always there to show you what Kim's thought process is and helps you to get a glimpse of his genius. The students were respectful and I think each person came away respecting the differences we each have in great new ways.

Kim Answering Questions at a Buffalo Elementary School

Everyone gets to hold the OSCAR!!! Tim- SE Director in Buffalo

Elizabeth had about 300 people attend the second night in Buffalo as well. She had some of her MentorABILITY students there helping and they each were honored with an award. It was a night marked by celebration.

Award Winners with the Peeks

One of my most favorite stories that Fran tells is about one of the big wigs at Nassau talking to Kim and remarking about the amazing relationship that Kim has with his Dad. The guy said something like " it seems like you have a very unique relationship with your father, Kim. It would appear that you have a very symbotic relationship with him." Kim's response was " why do you guys always have to make things so complicated? Why don't you just say it like it is?" The man said and "how is that?" Kim responded "My Dad and I share the same shadow." Now isn't that telling it like it is..... Who have you invested your life into?

Kim and Fran.... Sharing the same Shadow

1 comment:

Hannah said...

NASA?

So glad you got to go...