Still Working Out What it Means to Be Saved By Grace

We might be mid-life but we are still
trying to discover the depths of faith, family and how we are to be
Christ-agents in this world in which we live. We are open to explore, ponder and
discover how God will use us in this phase of our lives. We desire to refine and
adjust ourselves while we reconnect to our pasts and make this transition to the
future. It isn't really about the destination but more about the journey....We
use each of you to sharpen us and hone us to be the people that God intended for
us to be. Will you share the journey with us? We love your comments!


Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Patriarch

Grandpa Ken at his 89th Birthday


Dad K. or Grandpa Ken turned 89 on November 18th. He is still getting along each day just "like a sharecropper...." Smile.... Some of the family... Alan, Lindi, Dianne, Dan and I took him out to dinner at the Plains Hotel with his friend Angie. He is a remarkable man.... still as sharp as ever but his body is getting frail and he has had a lot of trouble breathing as of late. He is a stubborn one still living in his house with the steep stairway and is still driving. But he is a delight and works hard to stay active. He is always ready to go somewhere if invited and he takes great pride in all of his family.

Grandpa with his second cousin Nancy Keller from Santa Barbara, CA


For Thanksgiving Nancy Keller, his second cousin from CA joined the family gathering. Her grandmother and Grandma Peggy's mother were sisters. (Hope I got that right?!?!) What a delightful lady! She has traveled the world writing travel guides. She now teaches ESL classes and a life class to seniors in Santa Barbara. She has no siblings and both of her parents are gone so she has been really grateful to find some "family". She worked like a trouper in Lindi's kitchen helping to prepare the feast and then was so interested in all of the family. She and Dad K. even drove out our way to look at the home site were her ancestors homesteaded at Indian Hill and then we went to the Chugwater Soda Fountain for lunch and milkshakes, of course....


So it has been a big weekend for the 89 year old Patriarch but he would have it no other way.... hats off to Grandpa Ken... he is dearly loved and admired and we are so grateful to have him in our lives!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hello from California!

I am just now getting back on the computer and finding this beautiful blog. Good thing I just recently learned how to use a blog! I'm a bit of a technological dinosaur, but I do now know how to look at a blog and post a comment. And I'm so glad I do, because I am so delighted to see this! I am at work right now and I asked all of my co-workers to come and take a look at my cousin Ken! Thank you so much for posting these photos!

"The Patriarch" sure is the right way to describe him. What a wonderful legacy he has created in the world - the ranch, and such a good family full of good people.

Actually, Ken and I are second cousins because his grandmother (Sarah Fullerton, mother of Ken's mother Peggy) and my grandmother (Kate Fullerton, mother of my father Isham "Bill" Keller) were sisters. Ken and my father were first cousins, both born in the same year - my dad in June 1920 and Ken in November 1920.

My father was killed in a car accident in May 1963, when he was 42 and I was eight years old. I sure do wish my mother would have kept in touch with his side of the family, or at least kept ME in touch with the family, but she never did. I don't know why not, and she died years ago too so I can't ask her. But I sure am happy that we are together now!

I don't know how to tell you how happy and excited I am to meet all of you beautiful people, my cousins! Still today, if I say out loud, "I have cousins!" I just start to cry.

Not only have I just now found out that I have a whole bunch of cousins, but I am so amazed and excited and grateful to find out what beautiful people all of these cousins are! Wow!! Not only are these cousins, but I bet these are some of the most beautiful cousins that anybody ever had! I admire all of you so much - your goodness, your love of family, your connections to one another, and to the land, and to God. Thank you for being my beautiful cousins! I am so happy and proud to be related to all of you!

And who is to thank for all of this? Besides God, of course - our Patriarch! He wrote me a letter and invited me to come to Wyoming for Thanksgiving. And I am so glad that I did!

Thank you for everything!

Love,

Nancy