

May 3, 2008 marked the last prom for the KKREW! Dan figures we have done proms, starting with Hannah, since 1997. Now I realize we might do this as grandparents one day but this is the last of our five. Over the years proms have come and gone with mixed reviews among the kids. I think you would find that they would all agree that PROM IS OVERRATED! As well, Charlie would say that is costs too much money--- after two proms this year and last. But I will add that he had a great time with Brooklyn last Saturday so it was worth it in the end...
Prom dates ranged from far and wide (not many options in Chugwater). Proms were thus made awkward by sometimes hardly knowing the date, or having to figure out where the out of town date would stay after prom. There was Hannah's first prom date with the infamous, Levi, the weekend our horse Teddy died.
Mick's best prom date ever!
I made many calls to parents to assure them that their child would be well supervised, cared for and that we didn't tolerate alcohol as part of the experience. We supervised many a prom party at the ranch to keep tabs on things. I remember the first time making all kinds of food- gourmet breakfast and the kids were either too tired or the girls too worried about eating too much in front of their dates!
I have spent more money on tuxes than I care to think about. With three boys I could have bought 3 tuxedos and kept them!!! The girls had many dresses that they would never wear again. Thank goodness for Dillard's sales! Charlie loved his linen suit this year!!! He looked really handsome and GQ! 

Charlie's first Prom and Mick's Guernsey Date
We had many dates from Lusk over the years. The best one was when Mick's date got really sick early in the week so she suggested he go with another girl. She helped him arrange it and then when she found she was better she was mad a Mick... go figure... how is a young man supposed to navigate the world of women?!?! So he switched to Guersney and with the girl above Mick backed his car into her parked car before they even left for the prom. Mick always did love prom... 
So it is a bit bittersweet to close this chapter of parenting and of the kids growing up years. We do go out with a bang... This might have been the best prom ever. Charlie's date was a lovely girl and her parents were great fun too. They stayed over night at the cottage and even ate dinner with us at the Miller's. Judy invited the mothers to help and we made a fabulous meal of New York strip steaks complete with my punch and dessert for five senior couples. Miller's then invited the parents to stay and eat as well. The WHS prom's Grand March was a big affair and the theater was packed with onlookers. Even Hannah was here to share it! So the best for last I guess... you might say the last dance was sweet.... Maybe Dan and I will have to go to Dance Wyoming and have them finally teach us to dance to keep the tradition alive!


So it is a bit bittersweet to close this chapter of parenting and of the kids growing up years. We do go out with a bang... This might have been the best prom ever. Charlie's date was a lovely girl and her parents were great fun too. They stayed over night at the cottage and even ate dinner with us at the Miller's. Judy invited the mothers to help and we made a fabulous meal of New York strip steaks complete with my punch and dessert for five senior couples. Miller's then invited the parents to stay and eat as well. The WHS prom's Grand March was a big affair and the theater was packed with onlookers. Even Hannah was here to share it! So the best for last I guess... you might say the last dance was sweet.... Maybe Dan and I will have to go to Dance Wyoming and have them finally teach us to dance to keep the tradition alive!


1 comment:
Mr. & Mrs. Charlie & Brooklyn Pratt - he loves it.
We bought me one dress - the purple one my freshman year, which was about $40. Lori, Shannon, and Kali were my benefactors in subsequent years. Abby must have been the problemo.
Post a Comment