The other day we had some friends over and were sitting on our front porch enjoying dessert and their granddaughter commented that I have one droopy eye. I told her my eye gets like that when I get tired. How come afterwards we (I) will dwell on things like that instead of the other myraid of wonderful things that were said in the course of our fellowship?!?! We hate imperfection don't we? Then I recieved this message in my e-mail and I thought the simplicity of the message was a good antidote. So I am embracing my droopy eye, all that I leave undone, all that I can't get done and all that isn't done right.... maybe you can join me! Burn a little toast and call it good....
Embracing Imperfection
"When I was a little girl, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned toast in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his toast, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that toast and eat every bite!
When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the toast. And I'll never forget what he said: “Baby, I love burned toast.”
Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his toast burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, “Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt toast never hurt anyone!”
You know, life is full of imperfect things......and imperfect people. I'm not the best housekeeper or cook. What I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults - and choosing to celebrate each other's differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.
And that's my prayer for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where burnt toast isn't a deal-breaker! We could extend this to any relationship in fact - as understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!
"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket – keep it in your own."
We'll be friends until we are old and senile.
Then we'll be new friends!"
Still Working Out What it Means to Be Saved By Grace
We might be mid-life but we are still
trying to discover the depths of faith, family and how we are to be
Christ-agents in this world in which we live. We are open to explore, ponder and
discover how God will use us in this phase of our lives. We desire to refine and
adjust ourselves while we reconnect to our pasts and make this transition to the
future. It isn't really about the destination but more about the journey....We
use each of you to sharpen us and hone us to be the people that God intended for
us to be. Will you share the journey with us? We love your comments!
3 comments:
Is it any consolation that you have the coolest-colored eye shaddows of anybody in the world?
Lovely!
Love it. In a funny way, God designed us to be a bit imperfect, didn't He? I mean, we all have one eye bigger than another, one foot, one . . . well, you know what I'm talkin' about. We love each other anyway and embrace the symmetrically imperfect.
Post a Comment